Located in England. Though the name of Putta, the exiled Bishop of Rochester, is usually given as the first Bishop of Hereford (676), Venerable Bede's account merely states that he was granted a church and some land in Mercia by Sexulf, Bishop of Lichfield. This, however, was probably the nucleus from which the diocese grew, though its limits were not precisely fixed even by the end of the eighth century. In 793 the body of the martyred Ethelbert, King of the East Saxons, was buried at Hereford, and his shrine became a place of pilgrimage famous for miracles. His name was joined with that of the Blessed Virgin as titular, so that the cathedral, which was served by secular canons, was known as the Church of St. Mary and St. Ethelbert. The shrine was destroyed by the Welsh in 1055, when the cathedral, which had been recently rebuilt, was much damaged. It was restored after the Norman Conquest by Bishop Robert de Losinga, the intimate friend of St. Wulstan of Worcester. His immediate successors made further additions, and the great central tower was built about 1200. The clerestory to the choir, the beautiful Early English Lady Chapel and the north transept were added during the thirteenth century. Unfortunately the cathedral has suffered much from unskilful restoration, and some of the medieval work has been replaced by eighteenth-century architecture, notably the west front, which was ruined by the fall of a tower in 1786. The cathedral was remarkable for not conforming to the Sarum Rite, but for maintaining its own "Hereford Use" down to the Reformation. It had its own Breviary and Missal, and portions of the antiphonary have also survived. The diocese was generally fortunate in its bishops, two of whom are specially prominent: John de Breton, the great English lawyer (1268-1275); and his successor, Thomas de Cantilupe, better known as St. Thomas of Hereford, the last English saint to be canonized. He was chancellor to King Henry III when he was elected bishop, and had wide experience of government. In the disputes which arose between Archbishop Peckham and his suffragans, St. Thomas was chosen to lay the cause of the bishops before the pope, and while on this mission he died. His relics were buried at Hereford, where his shrine became the scene of numerous miracles. Part of the relics were saved at the Reformation and are now at Stonyhurst, but it would appear that some remained at Hereford, for as late as 1610 they were carried in procession by the people during the plague. In the cathedral is still preserved the celebrated "Mappa Mundi", designed by Richard of Battle in the thirteenth century. The diocese consisted of nearly all Herefordshire, with part of Shropshire, and parishes in the counties of Worcester, Monmouth, Montgomery and Radnor. It was divided into two archdeaconries, Hereford and Salop. There were about thirty religious houses in the diocese, the Augustinians having seven, including the priory of Wigmore, and the Benedictines ten, among which was the great priory of Leominster. There were Cluniacs at Clifford, Wenlock and Preen, Cistercians at Doré and Flaxley. Dominicans and Franciscans both had priories in Hereford; at Ludlow there were Carmelites and Austin Friars.
|Putta, 676||Vacancy, 1168|
|Thyrtell, 693||Robert Foliot, 1174|
|Torchtere, 710||William de Vere, 1186|
|Walchstod, 727||Giles de Braose, 1200|
|Cuthbert, 736||Hugh de Mapenor, 1216|
|Podda, 746||Hugh Foliot, 1219|
|Acca, c. 758||Ralph de Maydenstan,1234|
|Aldberht, 777||Peter of Savoy, 1240|
|Esne, 781||John de Breton, 1268|
|Celmundus, 793||St. Thomas de Cantilupe, 1275|
|Edulf, 796||Richard Swinfield, 1283|
|Utel, c. 798||Adam Orleton, 1316|
|Wulfhard, 803||Thomas Charleton, 1327|
|Benna, 824||John Trilleck, 1344|
|Eadulf, c. 825||Lewis Charleton, 1361|
|Cuthwulf, 838||William Courtenay, 1370|
|Mucellus, c. 857||John Gilbert, 1375|
|Deorlaf, 866||Thomas Trevenant, 1389|
|Ethelbert, 868||Robert Mascall, 1404|
|Cunemund, 888||Edmund Lacy, 1417|
|Athelstan I, 895||Thomas Polton, 1420|
|Eadgar, c. 901||Thomas Spofford, 1421|
|Tidhelm, c. 930||Richard Beauchamp, 1448|
|Wulfhelm, c. 935||Reginald Buller, 1450|
|Aifric, 941||John Stanberry, 1453|
|Athulf, c. 966||Thomas Mylling, 1474|
|Athelstan II, 1012||Edmund Audley, 1492|
|Leofgar, 1056||Adrian de Castello, 1503|
|Vacancy, 1056||Richard Mayhew, 1504|
|Walter of Lorraine, 1061||Charles Booth, 1516|
|Robert de Losinga, 1079||Schismatical bishops: —|
|Gerard, 1096||Edward Foxe, 1535|
|Vacancy, 1101||Edmund Bonner, 1538|
(translated to London
|Geoffrey de Clive, 1115||John Skypp, 1539|
|Richard de Capella, 1121||John Harley, 1553|
|Vacancy, 1127||Canonical bishops: —|
|Robert de Bethune, 1131||Robert Parfew, 1554|
|Gilbert Foliot, 1148||Thomas Reynolds, 1557|
(died a prisoner for the
faith before consecration)
|Robert de Maledon, 1163|
The arms of the see were: Gules, three leopard's heads reversed, jessant as many fleurs-de-lys, or.
HAVERGAL, Fasti Herefordenses (1869), giving full bibliography of cathedral and city; PHILLOTT, Hereford: Diocesan History (London, 1888); FISHER, Hereford: The Cathedral and See (London, 1898). For the Hereford Use, see Hereford Missal, reprinted by HENDERSON (London, 1874), and Hereford Breviary, edited by FRERE AND BROWN for Henry Bradshaw Society, I (London, 1903), vol. II in preparation. The Mappa Mundi was published in facsimile in 1869. See also MILLER, Die Herefordkarte (1896).
APA citation. (1910). Ancient Diocese of Hereford. In The Catholic Encyclopedia. New York: Robert Appleton Company. http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/07255a.htm
MLA citation. "Ancient Diocese of Hereford." The Catholic Encyclopedia. Vol. 7. New York: Robert Appleton Company, 1910. <http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/07255a.htm>.
Transcription. This article was transcribed for New Advent by Douglas J. Potter. Dedicated to the Immaculate Heart of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
Ecclesiastical approbation. Nihil Obstat. June 1, 1910. Remy Lafort, S.T.D., Censor. Imprimatur. +John Cardinal Farley, Archbishop of New York.